- This event has passed.
Basic Firearms Instructor Course – April 2020 ***Canceled
April 14, 2020 @ 8:00 am–April 18, 2020 @ 5:00 pm$325 – $600
This course covers pistol and shotgun training. Participants should have an advanced working knowledge of weapons used and must pass an initial qualification course with a score of at least 80% on the first day of training to continue the course. Students must pass a written examination and shoot a qualifying score of at least 90% to successfully complete the course. This is not a beginner’s course. Topics include range management; lead and hearing issues; range safety; and analysis and correction of shooter problems. You will learn the skills necessary to be a firearms instructor and instruct for your department. This is also a an approved course necessary to be licensed as a firearms specialist through POST. You should already possess an excellent mastery of safe weapon handling skills and be physically capable of performing police combat shooting courses. This course is not designed to teach you how to shoot but is designed to teach you how to instruct others to shoot as law enforcement personnel. This will be a fast paced course that will require study and preparation outside of the classroom. There will be a two day rifle instructor course offered at a later date with this course being a prerequisite.
Licensed Peace Officer or employed in the law enforcement field (pre-approval required), already qualified/trained in pistol and shotgun. Three (3) plus years of law enforcement experience recommended.
- Marksmanship: Participants will be required to successfully pass a standard qualification course of fire for each of the following; (semi‐auto‐pistol/police type shotgun). Qualification will take place on the first day of training; participants must successfully complete each course of fire with a minimum score of 80%. Only two attempts are permitted to continue in the course.
- Gun‐Handling Skills: Participants will be continuously evaluated on proper and safe handling of each weapon throughout the course. Any unsafe conditions will result in immediate dismissal from the course. PASS/FAIL
- Tactical Shooting: Participants will be evaluated during low‐light / dynamic / and scenario shooting situations. PASS/FAIL
- Range Operations: Participants will be required to develop and conduct a live‐fire standard course of fire. Participants will develop a lesson plan and present a firearms related presentation. Participants will be evaluated on: range safety, commands, student observation and topic presentation. PASS/FAIL.
- Examination: Participants will be required to pass a written examination with a minimum passing score of 90%. Students will be required to pass qualification with a min of 90% prior to graduating. Only two attempts are permitted.
- Clothing (law enforcement type/or uniform) suitable for both classroom and range.
- EYE / EAR protection. • Full Duty and range gear to include duty holster and ammunition carrier
- Semi‐Auto‐Pistol with three magazines, 12 gage police duty shotgun, (if able off‐duty or duty revolver)
- 1,200 rounds of semi‐auto pistol ammunition must be FMJ or TMJ.
- 50 rounds 00 buckshot for shotgun, 50 rounds of slug, 150 rounds of skeet or trap load
- 100 rounds of revolver ammunition.
- Classroom material, Laptop computer with PowerPoint recommended, thumb drive required
(No blazer/wolf/or any form of reloaded ammunition allowed)
- Comfort Suites
4804 Country Club (2 miles from MSATA) 573‐636‐0300
- Hampton Inn
4800 Country Club (2 miles from MSATA) 573‐634‐7400
- Candlewood Suites
3514 Amazonas Drive (5 miles from MSATA) 573‐634‐8822
- Oaktree Inn (formally Super 8)
1710 Jefferson Street (9 miles from MSATA) 573‐636‐5456
Students are responsible for all lodging, meals and transportation.
Click HERE to download a course training flyer